Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Abide

Just a glimpse into my thought process yesterday....

Abide. It crossed my mind, so I decided to sit down and ponder it for awhile. When I think of this word I can't help but flip right to John 15, where Jesus talks about abiding in the vine. As I read through I was again reminded of the importance of abiding. But this time it went deeper, more then just reading a good passage and going on with your day. It resinated in my heart, and questions began to arise. What is abiding? What does it look like to abide? What happens when we abide? 

So of course I looked it up....

a·bide

[uh-bahyd] verb, a·bode or a·bid·ed, a·bid·ing.
verb

1.
to remain; continue; stay.
2.
to have one's abode; dwell; reside. 
3.
to continue in a particular condition, attitude, relationship,etc.;last.


After reading the definition I went back and began to read the same verses but substituted some of these words. I was delighted by the new light it shed. 


 4 "[Stay] in Me, and I in you, as the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it [stays] in the vine, so neither can you unless you [stay] in me." 5 "I am the vine, you are the branches; he who [resides] in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.".... 7 "If you [dwell] in Me, and My words [dwell] in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you."

and my personal favorite:

9 "Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; [last] in My love."

Its simply just an invitation from Jesus to come and chill with Him. Stay with Him. Remain with Him. And reside with Him. And when we do this things begin to change within us. Our hearts are no longer weighed down by the worries and fears of life. As we remain in the presence of the Holy One, mysteries begin to unfold and life starts to make sense again. Our vision which was once fogged begins to clear, and as we learn who He is, we find ourselves. As the light radiates from Him it invades the corners of our hearts and lies are exposed. And when we find truth, we arrive at who were created to be.

Simply by abiding.





1 comment: